Hi guys, This post will be focusing on one of our Viral Academy students, Jonah Riddle (@jonahriddle) and four common editing techniques he uses throughout his videos. I have each technique covered listed out below next to their timecode in the video (in case you want to jump straight to the specific technique). 1. **Technique #1: The Incomplete Cut (0:15)** 2. **Technique #2: Dropping The Music (1:47)** 3. **Technique #3: Zoom Ins (3:40)** 4. **Technique #4: Using Music To Your Advantage (5:09)** https://youtu.be/hovUw3lp58s As you might have noticed, our first video is pretty simple and short. Future videos will be longer and more informative as you guys exchange feedback and let us know what you'd like to see! So please, if you have a niche or editing topic or general question you'd like covered, or even if you have some overall feedback, please let us know in the comments. See you next week, Charles
    Thanks for the ideas! I’ll definitely use some of these!
    Ok, so this is not what I thought it was going to be. This is editing ideas not a breakdown on how to do the editing. This is taking a lot for granted in my opinion and/or my case. This is more for people that already know how do editing. I personally am starting from zero, so just ideas about editing are not going to do me any good. I need actual technical breakdown of how to the editing, if that makes sense.
    @CharlesLiu We need more of this...
    @designurself the editing shown here are done with basic cuts which can be done with any program, the problem with tailoring the video to show a step by step tutorial of how to do said cuts is that everyone here uses different editing programs, some with premiere, others with final cut pro, some with hitfilm, filmora, da vinci etc etc Thus showing a step by step is not exactly inclusive or universal. For tutorials on how to edit check out the channels listed in this post - https://forum.jumpcut.com/topic/14880/j-cut-l-cut-cutaway-180-degree-rule-if-you-dont-know-what-these-are-we-need-to-talk
    Useful! :thumbsup:
    @Ransyn Thank you. I get that. I just have to grind through the learning stage...all sloth- like Lol!
    WE NEED MORE OF THIS!!! Thank you!
    Thank you so much on the video editing tips. When it comes to editing it really intimidates me. I know practice will be key. My question to you, is would you post an okay video that you know hits all key points taught by JCA or would you wait another two weeks and post a video with great editing.
    @CierraBerry Hi Cierra, Honestly, it depends on how important that video is to you and how good your core content actually is. There are some situations where I would spend that much time and some situations where I wouldn't. Situations where I would spend that much time: 1. If this video was important to my channel. (Like a channel trailer) 2. If I believe this will help me grow my editing skills. (THIS IS A BIG REASON TO DO IT) 3. If I believe I can make edits that will impact/enhance my core content. 4. If I don't plan on posting very often. Situations where I wouldn't spend that much time: 1. If this video was not really super important/I didn't put much effort into it 2. If my core content sucks. 3. If my core content is awesome but I want to be able to create and post at least once per week. There are more situations than what I listed, but at the end of the day it's really up to you to decide if it's worth it or if it would benefit you. I hope this helps, Charles
    @designurself Sorry that this wasn't what you were expecting :disappointed: But like Ransyn said, it's too difficult to teach functionality because everybody's functionality is different. My general rule when it comes to learning editing software is this: Press as many buttons, tools, and widgets as possible. Repeat until you eventually see what each one does. Continue repeating until you eventually remember what each one does. This is basically how I learned to edit on Windows Movie Maker on my mom's laptop when I was a little kid. Also, the only difference between professional software and beginner's software is that professional software has more buttons. Hope this helps, Charles
    @CharlesLiu Thanks Charles. That's exactly what I'm doing. It's only time:)
    @CharlesLiu definitely going to spend time on my content. Your right if it enhances the core content than there should be no doubt about spending time on editing it. Plus if I’m going to post my first video it should be pretty damn good so it can only get better. Thanks:)
    I'm so thankful this! I've been looking at a bunch of different editing tutorials on youtube. Understanding the histories, meanings, and uses for these cuts really helps too. This is the first I've been actually taking apart youtube videos instead of purely cinema/television. Seeing the practical and theoretical use is **awesome**! Breaking down actual youtube videos is the biggest point I have to make for this. Because that spoke to me deeper. I feel that when you see a video that was made by just one or a small group has worked on is truly breathtaking. Brings a sense of relief and telling myself *I can do this*! I realize that these techniques are tools that we all have access to. Being here has opened my eyes to a new world and respect for creators and creations. That every detail matters. With this knowledge that has been provided to me. I will use it to make my content better (along with the other skills I have learned from JumpCut). Thank you for the listen @CharlesLiu See you in the next one!!
    @CharlesLiu yes please, could you do a general editing work flow video? One that can be used with ANY or nearly any editing program. I just want to have a global prep template, steps I can do to edit more efficiently regardless of topic or theme. It consistently take me WAY TOO LONG to edit my videos🙄 Thanks Charles, timbgreen
    @Ransyn Yeah, and we, at least I joined the course to learn the Art of editing and be exposed to new ideas and techniques, not to watch another re-hashed editing software tutorial. I would hope that JumpCut would spend their time and energy better than that. Lol. This is good info.
    Interesting. I learned video editing years ago and these were all considered "mistakes" back in the day, but I see them used to great effect on some of the most popular YouTube videos. Just to say, even a veteran can learn some new tricks! Thanks!
    @designurself I feel ya..I'm with ya...lol. I've considered paying someone to edit for me. Not fun to me at all...:laughing:
    Hey I love this! Great value here. I 'm gonna try more of the incomplete cuts! Thanks, hope to see more of these!
    thanks for the post will try to apply in my future projects!

Looks like your connection to Jumpcut was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.